Monday, September 20, 2010

A Day I Will Never Forget

Saturday, Michael and I got the blessing and honor of going with our Sunday School Class to Jenkin Jones Holler in West Virginia.  My dad went with us too.  We went up there to help out at the Kings Closet.  This is a place started by Harold Ward, a member at our church, about 5 years ago.  Harold loves these people and they love him.  This place is like a lost town that has been forgotten.  You drive up old mountain roads until you get to it.  Roads stop there.  The roads don't go any further.  The Lord has used Harold greatly up there.  God has used Harold to start a church up there and he has what is called "The King's Closet" which is a place where people can come and get clothes and different supplies they need for free.

Feeding the community at the King's Closet
This community is very poor.  There are no jobs.  This was at one time a sprawling coal mine town but when the mine shut down they had no way of making money.  The closest place around that has stores and work is about 45 minutes away in Bluefield, WV.  I do not have enough time to explain the conditions of this place.  Let's just say that if you go, you will NEVER look at things the same.

I have to say I really struggled about going.  I worry about everything and Satan uses that to beat me down.  By Wednesday I felt so beaten down I didn't even want to go to church that night.  I went and am so glad I did.  The Lord entered that place and we just testified and praised the Lord for what He has done.  I felt God convicting my heart and told the church how I was struggling with going and I realized that I wasn't the only one.  Satan was trying his hardest to keep us away.  I felt so much better after service but you know Satan isn't going to give up. To make a long story short, I ended up with a sinus infection and had a panic attack (thought I was having a heart attack).  Well I went and God blessed soooo much.  There were many obstacles as the group from the church came up the mountain.  How about 4 blowouts!  All on the vehicles carrying all of our supplies but they didn't give up and finally everyone was there around 1pm.  We had a service and God SHOWED up!  8 precious souls received Christ as their Lord and Savior.  Praise the Lord!

 I know this is a long post but I just want to catch as many details as I can.  Last night we had an amazing testimony service for us to share with the church congregation about our trip.  I can't put it all down but we were all changed.  I have cried several times today thinking about the people up there.  I am so blessed.  That could just as easily be me in that area.  I am so blessed and am so thankful that I  had the opportunity to go.  We are going back.  I don't think Harold is going to have any trouble getting help.  We are all ready to go back and see what God is going to do again.  Totally AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment